Quick and easy crispy tofu is SO easy to make! You only need a handful of ingredients and a few minutes of frying on the pan and you’ll have delicious crispy tofu to enjoy!
I have a confession! I didn’t learn to enjoy tofu properly until after I had been vegan for 3 years. In fact, it took encouragement from a friend to really try and experiment with tofu and different cooking methods. However, after a while of cooking tofu, I think I have mastered how to make tasty, flavourful, extra crispy and delicious tofu.
What is tofu?
Tofu, also known as bean curd, is a food prepared by coagulating soy milk and then pressing the resulting curs into solid white blocks of varying softness. It can be silken, soft, firm or extra firm.
Tofu is subtle in flavour so it can easily be used in a variety of dishes, both savoury and sweet. It’s often seasoned or marinated to suit the dish because of its ability to absorb flavours well. Tofu is a traditional component of East Asian and Southeast Asian cuisines and has been consumed in China for over 2,000 years.
Tofu is low in calories, contains a relatively large amount of protein, high in iron and is low in carbohydrates. Therefore, a great choice when you want a high protein- low carb option.
For this quick and easy crispy tofu recipe we used extra firm tofu.
Tips and FAQs
- Quick and easy – it only takes 15 minutes
- Dietary restriction friendly – this recipe is vegan/vegetarian, gluten-free and sugar-free and with adjustments, it’s possible to make it low-carb
- Can be made oil-free – you can omit the oil and cook the tofu cubes in the oven for 20-25 minutes at 200°C
What you’ll need
- Tofu – you’ll need extra crispy tofu to make this recipe
- spices – you’ll need vegan bouillon powder, nutritional yeast, pepper and garlic seasoning, salt and white pepper
- cornstarch – to create a crispy coating on the tofu
- oil – for frying the tofu
Step 1 Rinse and pat dry the tofu. Cut into small cubes and place in a bowl.
Step 2 Add all the spices to the bowl and coat all the tofu cubes with the spice blend
Step 3 Add 2 tbsp of corn starch and mix well
Step 4 Shallow fry the tofu cubes in tbsp of vegetable oil for 15 minutes, turning the tofu cubes gently to get them all evenly golden and crispy
For more delicious tofu recipes check out these:
- Korean chilli sesame tofu
- Pepper, garlic and herb-crusted tofu steaks
- Courgette noodle stir-fry with crispy tofu