One of our favorite things to eat is spaghetti bolognese. This healthy vegan and gluten-free spaghetti bolognese is a perfect family midweek meal. Kid-friendly and delicious and anyone can make it. This is my younger daughters favorite thing to eat and she can actually cook a great one all by herself.
Spaghetti bolognese was actually one of the first things I tried to “veganize”, and I was so surprised how easy it was. The lentils are a fantastic meat-replacer and they are much lighter in the stomach as well. I have tried making it with fake meat but we all prefer the lentils.
This week I’m trying to eat gluten-free. I want to know if this helps me with some digestion issues. Nothing serious, but I really want to know if I can feel a little bit better. I’m very new to all this and I have to say it has been a journey exploring all the substitutions for all the wonderful gluten I usually love to eat. However, everything I’ve tried to make this week has not disappointed yet. I do love my carbs but this Spaghetti was surprisingly good as you can read in the recipe section.
If you have any recommendations for gluten-free products that I need to try or know of anything I should definitely stay clear from, please let me know. I would love to hear from you. Being a total newbie in this gluten-free world can be hard.
Healthy vegan gluten-free spaghetti bolognese
- 1/2 cup Brown lentils
- 1/2 cup Red lentils
- 1 Large onion
- 2 Garlic cloves
- 2 Cans of chopped tinned tomatoes
- 400 g Tomato passata
- Handful of cherry tomatoes
- 1 tbsp Soy sauce
- 1 tbsp Vegan bouillon powder
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Black pepper
- 1 tsp Paprika
- 2 tsp Mixed italian herbs
- 1 tsp Granulated onion
- 1/4 tsp Chili
- 1/4 tsp Cumin powder
- Oil for sautéing
- Handful of basil
- Vegan parmesan cheese
- Gather all your ingredients. I always find it easier to prepare all of my ingredients before I start cooking. That way I don’t find myself running around in the kitchen looking for the next ingredient while I cook.
- Boil the brown lentils for about 40 minutes in a pot. Season the water with 1/2 of the vegan bouillon powder.
- Sauté the onion and the garlic until golden.
- Add all of the spices and the lentils and sauté for a few minutes.
- Add all the tomato products to the mix as well as the fresh cherry tomatoes. Allow simmering for about 20-30 minutes.
- When the brown lentils have cooked add them to the pot along with the soy sauce. This is also a good time to adjust the taste. If you want to add any additional spices or perhaps add a little more salt. I’ve been trying to reduce salt in my diet so I buy, for example, reduced salt bouillon powder and reduced salt soy sauce.
- Boil the spaghetti according to the direction on the pack. For this bolognese, I used Barilla gluten-free spaghetti and I have to say I will definitely be buying that one again. It tastes great and the texture is very close to real flour spaghetti.
If you try this recipe, I would love to hear from you! Please leave a comment down below or take a photo and tag me on Instagram @abiteofkindness
Pasta lover? Why not try this fresh and green pesto pasta. You could even try it with gluten-free pasta.