Vegan and gluten-free falafel made with canned chickpeas. Perfect for a and easy recipe!
For a few days now, I’ve had falafels on my mind and being on a bit of a health kick I wanted to make easy vegan and gluten-free falafels.
The other day I had to run errands in Watford. I got there just before lunch and after my appointment, I took a little walk around the town center. I’ve been to Watford once before last year and back then the Intu shopping center was under construction and not the nicest. However, the renovations are now over and what a great area for shopping, walking around and getting your things done. I really like the town center especially the street market.
At one of the street market stalls, I saw a vegan label. It was a place that sold falafels. They had wraps, salads, and some more options. Now, I have to admit I can be a bit scared of buying food from street food seller. I tend to be a bit afraid of germs and lack of hygiene, thinking about a 60-minute bus ride home, I wasn’t really keen on having any digestion issues if you know what I mean. But, they looked nice and clean so I decided to have a falafel wrap.
Without a doubt, this wrap was one of the best I’ve ever tried. Firstly, it was filled with loads of veggies. Secondly, the falafels were very flavourful, soft and fluffy. And lastly, the hummus was great and the garlic tahini sauce something I will be dreaming about for quite a while.
I wanted to recreate the falafel wrap at home so I had my best go at the falafels. I decided to make a recipe for easy vegan and gluten-free falafels. They are actually quite easy to make, and pretty quick too. I just chucked everything in the food processor and let it do all the hard work for me.
These easy vegan and gluten-free falafels are:
- Easy to make
For more gluten-free recipes check out these:
- Vegan and gluten-free Greek style Koftas
- Gluten-free vegan spaghetti bolognese
- Courgette noodle stir-fry with crispy tofu
- Pear, almond and buckwheat salad
- Moroccan chickpea Tagine in the Instant Pot
- Simple delicious chilli sin carne
Easy vegan and gluten-free falafels
Easy vegan and gluten-free Falafel
- 1 Can of Chickpeas
- 1/2 Onion
- 1/3 cup Fresh Coriander
- 2 tbsp Sesame seeds
- 2 – 3 Garlic cloves
- 1/4 – 1/2 Fresh chili
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Black pepper
- 1/2 tsp Coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp Cumin powder
- 8 tbsp Gluten free flour
- 4 Oil for frying
- Gather all your ingredients and get your food processor ready.
- Put all the ingredients in the food processor except for the gluten-free flour. Roughly chop the onions before adding them in.
- Add about half of the gluten-free flour at first and blend well. Add more flour gradually until your falafel dough is thick enough to be molded into balls.
- Form your falafels, I chose to make mine a bit longer and leaner because I wanted to put them in wraps.
- Fry your falafels in oil for about 3-5 minutes each side or until golden color. If you want to be extra healthy you could also bake them in the oven until golden. That way you have made your falafels low fat as well.
- Once your falafels are ready you can use them in whichever way you want. Today we made Falafel wraps with lots of vegetables, garlic tahini sauce, and hummus.