This easy homemade vegan tomato soup is incredibly delicious and healthy. It’s made with a handful of fresh ingredients such as baby plum tomatoes.
Tomato soup is classic comfort food. It’s filled with wholesome ingredients especially if you make it with fresh tomatoes. Using baby plum tomatoes gives the soup a sweet flavor which makes the soup irresistible delicious.
This fresh tomato soup recipe is very easy to make and so good even my picky teenager loves it! She’s not a big fan of soups but does like a bowl of good tomato soup.
How to make this tomato soup?
To make this homemade vegan tomato soup you only need a handful of ingredients: fresh baby plum tomatoes, red onion, garlic, vegetable stock, balsamic vinegar, extra virgin olive oil, and some maple syrup. To give the soup some extra flair when serving you can also add fresh parsley and coconut cream.
Roasting the tomatoes in the oven
While the recipe can be prepared on the stove top only, roasting the tomatoes in the oven before blending gives the soup a more distinctive flavour. It brings out the caramelisation of the tomatoes, red onion and the garlic. Drizzling some balsamic vinegar over the tomatoes also gives the soup an added distinctive flavour you won’t get by cooking it on the stove top.
How to make vegan tomato soup?
Start by placing the tomatoes, onion and garlic in a baking pan. Drizzle with the olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Add salt and pepper to taste. Place in the oven to roast for 45 minutes or until the tomatoes are wrinkly and have released their juices.
Pour the tomatoes, onion, garlic and all the vegetable juice into a high-speed blender. Add half of the vegetable broth and blend until completely smooth. Pour into a pot and add the remaining vegetable broth. Add soy sauce, maple syrup and salt and pepper if needed. Let simmer for approximately 10 minutes or until the flavours have happily married.
What to serve with tomato soup?
This tomato soup is the perfect starter, side dish or a main meal. It can be dressed up or down according to the occasion.
The soup can be served with freshly baked bread, grill-cheese sandwiches or with one of my favorites: Croutons.
Making croutons for soup
Croutons are such a fun way to add flavor and crunch to a soup. The added texture gives the soup more dimension and while you can always buy them ready-made at the grocery shop it so much more fun to make them yourself.
Homemade croutons take things to a whole new level, and given how quick and easy they are to make, there’s no reason not to take a few minutes to make them yourself. The recipe is simple, basic and quick to prepare.
How to make croutons?
You can make croutons by baking the bread cubes in the oven or by frying them in a frying pan on the stove top. If using the stove top method, like I did for this recipe, make sure to stir and toss the bread frequently on low-medium heat so all sides become crispy and golden.
What are the best herbs and spices for croutons?
It’s really up to you how you want to flavour your croutons. I do recommend garlic and parsley. It’s one of my favourite flavour combinations. Then add a sprinkle of salt, pepper and perhaps a tiny bit of chilli to make them even better.
Easy homemade vegan tomato soup
Vibrant vegan tomato soup with crispy croutons
- 1 kg baby plum tomatoes
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1/2 red onion
- 1 tsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 800 ml vegetable stock
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1/2 cuo coconut cream
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley
- 2 slices of fresh sourdough bread
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 clove of garlic
- 1 tbsp fresh parsley
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a baking pan, add the baby plum tomatoes, red onion, and two garlic cloves. Add 2 tbsp of extra virgin olive oil and 1 tsp balsamic vinegar and coat all the tomatoes evenly.
- Roast on 180°C for about 45 minutes or until the tomatoes are wrinkly and have released their juices.
- Pour the tomatoes, red onion, garlic cloves, and all the juices into a high-speed blender, add about half of the vegetable stock.
- Blend until smooth.
- Pour the blended tomatoes into a large pot, add the remaining vegetable stock, 1 tbsp soy sauce, 1 tbsp maple syrup and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Allow simmering for approximately 10 minutes while you prepare the croutons.
- Prepare two slices of sourdough bread, 2 tbsp of olive oil, 1 tbsp of fresh parsley and 1 garlic clove.
- Cut the bread into bite-sized cubes, pour over the olive oil and add the garlic clove and fresh parsley.
- Mix well and transfer to a frying pan and fry on low-medium heat until crispy and golden.
- Serve the soup with a splash of coconut cream, a few crispy croutons and fresh parsley.
If you try this recipe, I would love to hear from you! Please leave a comment down below or take a photo and tag me on Instagram @abiteofkindness